Welcome
Login / Register

Crime and Punishment


  • Yemen and its Political turmoil

     

    Gunmen execute 16 people, including 4 nuns, in Yemen retirement home

    A team of gunmen unleashed a massacre at a retirement home run by Catholic nuns in Yemen Friday, killing 16 people including four nuns, Yemeni security officials and witnesses said.

    The gunmen then moved from room to room, handcuffing the victims before shooting each of them in the head. A nun who survived said that she hid inside a fridge in a storeroom after hearing a Yemeni guard shouting "run, run."

    Missionaries of Charity, an organization established by Mother Teresa, runs the home in the chaotic southern port city of Aden, which descended into lawlessness after a Saudi-led coalition recaptured the city from Shiite Houthi rebels last summer.

    Yemen's civil war has split the country in two. The northern region, where Shiite rebels are in control, has been struck by an extensive air campaign by a Saudi-led coalition. The southern region, which is controlled by the internationally-recognized government backed by Saudi Arabia, is suffering from a power and security vacuum. The Islamic State terror group and al-Qaida affiliates have exploited the lawlessness and created safe havens in the south.

    No terror group immediately claimed credit for Friday's slaughter.

    Khaled Haidar told The Associated Press that he counted 16 bodies including that of his brother, Radwan, in the home. All had been shot in the head and were handcuffed. He said that in addition to the four nuns, six Ethiopians, one Yemeni cook, and Yemeni guards were among those killed.

    Haidar said his family was the first to arrive at the house and that he spoke to the surviving nun, who was crying and shaking. Haidar said that his family later handed her over to a group of southern fighters in charge of security in the local Aden district of Sheikh Osman.

    Vikas Swarup, the spokesman of India's External Affairs Ministry, said the attackers had asked the guard to open the gate on the pretext of visiting their mothers at the retirement home.

    "On entering inside, (they) immediately shot dead the gatekeeper and started shooting randomly," he said, adding that the assailants escaped soon after the attack.

    The bodies were transferred to a police station and then a hospital run by the aid organization known as Doctors Without Borders or MSF. An official with MSF confirmed that 15 bodies had arrived at the hospital. Haider said his family took his brother's body for burial.

    There are around 80 residents living at the home. Missionaries of Charity nuns also came under attack in Yemen in 1998, when gunmen killed three nuns in the Red Sea port city of Hodeida.

    Al-Qaida controls several southern cities and ISIS has claimed responsibility for a wave of deadly attacks in Aden, including a suicide bombing that killed the city's governor and several assassination attempts on top officials.

    Aden's churches have also come under attack. In the summer, a Catholic church in the district of Crater was torched and sabotaged by Islamic extremists.

    Yemen's war has killed at least 6,200 civilians and injured tens of thousands of Yemenis, and 2.4 million people have been displaced.

    Two of the killed nuns were from Rwanda and the other two were from India and Kenya, Missionaries of Charity spokeswoman Sunita Kumar said. Earlier, Yemeni and Indian officials reported that all four killed nuns were Indian but such conflicting information on casualties is not unusual in the chaos of Yemen's civil war. India's foreign ministry had initially cited information it got from its embassy in Yemen.

    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

    Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/03/04/gunmen-kill-16-including-4-nuns-in-yemen-retirement-home.html

     

     

    Read more »
  • Former Man City Winger Adam Jhonson Heading for 14 years Jail Term

    Adam Johnson found GUILTY of sexually touching 15-year-old schoolgirl but CLEARED of charge relating to oral sex - and faces maximum seven-year jail sentence

    • England winger has admitted grooming and kissing a 15-year-old girl
    • He has been found guilty of putting his hand down the girl's trousers 
    • Jurors acquitted him of one further count relating to oral sex
    • He now faces a maximum prison sentence of 14 years 

     

    Adam Johnson has been found guilty of sexually touching a 15-year-old girl.

    He has been cleared of a second charge relating to the girl's claims she performed oral sex on him.

    Jurors had been asked to decide whether the schoolgirl performed a sex act on the former Sunderland footballer when they met in his car in January last year and if he put his hand down her trousers.

    Johnson, 28, has now been acquitted on the charge relating to the girl's claim she performed oral sex on him.  

    The England winger has already admitted grooming the girl and kissing her as they sat in the front seats of his Range Rover Sport on January 30 last year. But he denies the 'passionate kiss' led to anything further.

    Today is a year to the day since Johnson was arrested at his mansion in Castle Eden, County Durham.

    Arriving at court today, Johnson was again accompanied by his ex-girlfriend Stacey Flounders, who has supported him during the trial and gave evidence for the defence, despite the couple having split up.

    The two-week trial has heard how Johnson exchanged hundreds of messages with the schoolgirl after she befriended him on Facebook at the end of 2014.

    He signed two football shirts for the avid Sunderland fan before asking her to meet and give him a 'thank you kiss'.

    When they met a second time, the girl claims she gave the player oral sex and he put his hands down her trousers. He denies they did anything more than kiss.

    The defence claim the girl is a 'proven liar' who made up the more serious allegations to 'save face' in front friends she had told about Johnson.

    The prosecution say Johnson has admitted lesser offences in a bid to get off the more serious charges. They claim he has 'lied and lied again' to police and during his trial.

    Judge Jonathan Rose finished his summing up to the jury yesterday before telling them they should strive to reach unanimous verdicts.

     He told them: ‘When you retire you must reach verdicts on which you are all agreed. I will only accept unanimous verdicts - 12-0 is the only possible score.’ 

    The judge earlier reminded the jury that Johnson deleted 834 WhatsApp message from his mobile phone.

    The judge recalled that the player and the girl exchanged messages before the January 30 meeting about getting a thank-you kiss.

    He said that in the messages Johnson said he was after 'a little bit more than kissing, a bit of feeling'.

    The judge reminded the jury that, from the witness box, Johnson told the court: 'I considered going as far as she would let me. I was hoping I could feel her body, her private parts. It would be the normal progression.'

    But, the judge said, Johnson told the jury: 'I was hoping it would happen, but it never happened.'

    He said this was because the player said he realised it was the wrong thing to do.

    Johnson, of Castle Eden, County Durham, denies two counts of sexual activity with a child.

     

     

    Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3472632/Adam-Johnson-NOT-GUILTY-one-count-sexual-activity-child.html

    Read more »
RSS